Wednesday, January 14, 2009

The inmates are running the asylum, and Mr Cooper needs to whine about it

The Inmates Are Running the Asylum: Why High Tech Products Drive Us Crazy and How to Restore the Sanity (2nd Edition) The Inmates Are Running the Asylum: Why High Tech Products Drive Us Crazy and How to Restore the Sanity by Alan Cooper


My review


rating: 3 of 5 stars
If this is meant to be the business case for interaction design, it's a pretty sad business case. The ideas are good, but they way it's put is frustrating.

There's some useful material in this book, but it's hard to dig out in the constant noise of Mr Cooper's whining. You could easily scan the first 120 pages, then read about half of the chapters on persona and goals, and you'd have it.

I am left with the taste of BUFD in my mouth too. That may be a misunderstanding, but it seems that we need to have a big interaction design to get it all right, right from the beginning. This is not something I like the idea of.

Yes, interaction design should be handled by pro's. Thanks Alan.

A book to borrow, quickly scan through, then return.


View all my reviews.

2 comments:

Matt McKnight said...

Agree completely. That book is...nonsense.

L said...

Matt I know where you're coming from I think the stereotyping and soap-boxing was over the top, and most of what was put forward as a business case was opinion/rant.

I do think interaction design is important and it's great if you can get an experienced pro to help, but the whole tone of the book could have been more engaging.